Saturday, January 30, 2010

getting ready to work

I've just returned from Peggy Mersereau's studio, and I'm overwhelmed. Peggy and I are going to show together at her place on the Ganaraska Studio Tour in April. She is a fabric artist, whereas I just use fabric texturally in my painting. After having seen Peggy's "mermaid" necklaces and exquisite invisible thread work, I am too excited to work! I need to get some distance to begin the process of decision-making that embarking anew calls for.

Talking about process, I realize the challenge of letting notions ripen into a workable focus. It's a bit like lingering overlong in that maddening sensation of "I know the word but I can't think of it". One goes on talking anyway, knowing that the fugitive word is exactly the thing needed to make everything come into focus.

I don't "know the word" for what I am striving at recently in my work, but the intimacy of fabric, its fascinating history and the metaphoric quality of warp and weft are all pushing me to speak it.

No comments:

Post a Comment